Wednesday, April 29, 2009

eMusic Purcha$e$ - March 2009

We were continuing to feast upon various Best of 2008 powerpop lists in addition to our own powerpop, indiepop, and shoegaze finds for our March eMusic purchases. We are well pleased with what we bought and hope you will be, too. A note about stylistic/formatting inconsistencies in our first two posts: for some reason Blogger has been majorly messing with our fonts, and we haven't been able to resolve all the issues. It should not, however, affect your making use of the two posts. Click each artist name - album name to go to the appropriate eMusic page to sample the songs we bought. Once there, feel free of course to sample and purchase other of the songs available as well. Big of us, sure, but it's just kind of the jolly little way we do things here at pppurcha$e$.

Adam & Dave's Bloodline - Adam & Dave's Bloodline
Where You Are
Got No Sorrow
Asteroid No. 4 - These Flowers of Ours
My Love
Let It Go
Hold On
Hei Nah Lah
She Touched the Sky
All Fall Down
The Avenues - "Two EPs"
Everybody
The Black Hollies - Casting Shadows
Patient Sparrow
The Black Hollies - Crimson Reflections
(Baby) I'm Your Fool
The Bon Mots - Forty Days and Forty Nights with The Bon Mots
On Her Telephone
Breathing Backwards
The Brigadier - The Rise and Fall of Responsibility
The Box in the Back of My Mind
Codaphonic - The Ballad of Codaphonic
A Lot Like Me
Call-In Show
The Color Wheels - The Color Wheels
Superjet Waterslide
Cruisin' For A Bruisin'
Pirate Ship
The Daysleepers - Drowned In a Sea of Sound
Twilight Bloom
Derby - Derby E.P.
Nada
Argyle
Do The Undo - This is Minty Fresh! Volume 1
Two Sides
East Hundred - Passenger
Slow Burning Crimes
Frank Ciampi - Big Top Woman
The Miss Jenny
The Grip Weeds - Infinite Soul - The Best Of The Grip Weeds
Salad Days
Astral Man
Save My Life
Give Me Some of Your Ways
Closer To Love
Walking In The Crowd
She Brings the Rain
Heap - Oddball
Explode Tonight
Heap - On The Cheap
Women
Better Off
Vague
Hello From Reno - Hello From Reno
So Far Away
The Higher Elevations - Always The Same
Compulsive Behaviour
At The End
Too Late To Give In
The Higher Elevations - The Protestant Work Ethic
In Place
Jeremy - The Young Idea - A Pop Tribute To Anthony Meynell And Squire
You're The One
Longwave - Secrets Are Sinister
Life Is Wrong
I Don't Dare
Mega Super Ultra - The Young Idea - A Pop Tribute To Anthony Meynell And Squire
Live Without Her Love
The Mellowmen - Tomorrow's Sound Today
You Better Leave Now
I Need to Know
Sunshine Shell
MGMT - Time To Pretend EP
Kids
NODZZZ - NODZZZ
Simple Song
Losing My Accent
Only Makebelieve - Message From A Mockingbird
Rayna's Smile
Pete And The Pirates - Jennifer
Jennifer
Blood Gets Thin
The Pillbugs - Everybody Wants a Way Out
Soundman
The Posies - Alive Before The Iceberg
Surrender
Reigning Sound - Time Bomb High School
Stormy Weather
Straight Shooter
Time Bomb High School
She's Bored With You
The Resonars - Bright and Dark
The Golden Age
Gina (How Close Did I Come?)
The Resonars - Lunar Kit
Under Garden
Why Does It Have To Be So Hard
Lunar Kit
Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. - Catnip Dynamite
Living in End Times
The Shingles - The Young Idea - A Pop Tribute To Anthony Meynell And Squire
Girl On A Train
Sloan - Parallel Play
Burn For It
The Smittens - The Coolest Thing About Love
11:11
Baby, Don't You Know?
Something Sassy
One Hundred Roses
The Smittens- Gentlefication Now!
Twee Valley High
Sodastream - A Minor Revival
Blinky
(the sounds of) kaleidoscope - from where you were to how you got there
Oh My Mind
Secret Service
New Language
Th' Strangebirds
Suite-t
The Spongetones - Always Carry On: The Best Of The Spongetones 1980-2005
My Girl Maryanne
Anna
Oh Yeah!
The Spring Collection - The Young Idea - A Pop Tribute To Anthony Meynell And Squire
A World Of My Own
Swervedriver - Raise - US Extended Version
Sunset
Over
Three Hour Tour - B Side Oblivion
Road Less Traveled
Tigers Jaw - Belongs To The Dead
Heat
The Top Drawers - You're So Fine
Out of Town
Baby I Feel Had
You're So Fine
The Urges - Psych Ward
Jenny Jenny
I Gotta Wait
So Uptight
Read The Signs
The Vagabonds - The Young Idea - A Pop Tribute To Anthony Meynell And Squire
The Face Of Youth Today

7 comments:

  1. Have you heard I Was a King? They have been one of the highlights of April for me on eMusic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should have checked Powerpopulist first and then I would have known the answer to that question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I Was a King are pretty much New (To Me) Band of the Year so far. I'm delighted you like them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New York Dolls – A Hard Days NightAlthough it was released on Norton in 2006, I completely missed it. Tasty early demos.

    Telekinesis – Telekinesis!I got this about a month ago and it has really grown on me.

    Milk and Honey Band – Dog Eared MoonlightAn interesting gentle pastoral sound, which seems great right now listening to it on the back porch after dinner, with a late spring breeze blowing the smell of blossoms across the landscape.

    John Foxx - MirrorballI got this yesterday and have not heard it yet - hopefully today. I think it is a collaboration with Robin Guthrie of the Cocteau Twins. BTW, eMusic has most of the John Foxx catalog, which is most worthy of attention.

    Great Lake Swimmers – Lost ChannelsAgain, I just got this yesterday and have not heard it yet. I had to use the downloads before the expiration date. Early reviews on this album have been strong.

    E-Mann

    ReplyDelete
  5. @E-Mann: I bought some of the Telekinesis, too, and really like them. I'll check out those other recommendations; thank you for making them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you any thoughts on the changing eMusic price structure? I'm pretty bummed. Not sure I would have downloaded two of the five I listed last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very po'ed about it, E-Mann. My first reaction was, "No way am I staying with them when they break faith, if not contracts, with loyal subscribers, especially pretending they're doing us some kind of big favor!" Upon reflection, though, $.40 per song is still a very good price. As long as I'm still finding good tuneage, I'll stay with them. In this first month of eMusic's enhanced catalog I was able to find some good new stuff plus fill in some gaps with long-time faves such as The Byrds and Jefferson Airplane. So we'll see.

    ReplyDelete